This is a great question that I’m sure some of you are still struggling with. To be honest, when I was thinking about starting this blog, I had to ask myself this same question several times!
What is a Worship Drummer?
- What is worship?
- A Simple working definition I use is “worship is worth-ship”. That is to say we show worth to someone or something by giving of ourselves, our time, our money, our resources. In our case, as Christians, we’re created to worship God and are called to live a life of worship and to do it in spirit and in truth. (Roms 12:1-2 // John 4)
- What is Drummer?
- For now, let’s just agree that a drummer is someone who plays drums 🙂
Now that we quickly have a working definition we can answer that bigger question of what is a Worship Drummer.
Simply stated, a worship drummer is someone who puts the heart before the beat. Without this distinction, we would just be drummers. As worship drummers, we have a whole other responsibility which is of no bearing in secular music — the heart of a worshiper:
- We play for an audience of One
- We lift the name of Jesus above any/all names (yes, even our band’s name)
- We wage war with the unseen world
- We follow the leading of the Holy Spirit (and the worship leader, of course)
I know it’s sometimes a struggle to be humble and serve, while at the same time being in the spotlight and being applauded by hundreds of people. Let’s come together and challenge one another to a higher standard of living and playing.
What do you think we should add to our definition of a worship drummer?